Saturday, December 03, 2005

Emergent Church

A brother recently asked, "Tom, what is it about the "emergent church" that interests you?" If you are not familiar with the term, it might bear some explanation. There is no short answer. But, as best I can, here is my definition. Emergent Church: a movement among Christians that is designed to recover authentic fellowship and worship in the body of Christ. It is much more complex than that I'm sure. I know that there are many who identify themselves as "emergent" who do not hold to an "orthodox" Christianity. To them, even the term "orthodoxy" is debatable (see Brian McClauren's recent title "A Generous Orthodoxy"). I am in favor of having rigorous, helpful and even passionate debate over doctrine, however, I am not interested in the walls we erect around ourselves to protect us from those who differ theologically. Are they not precious to Christ? Then how can they be any less precious to me! Can I fellowship with an Episcopalian, Methodist, Assemblies of God, Lutheran, etc. who has accepted essential Christian truth and is a true disciple of Christ? Best to answer this with a question? Can Christ love them? Can Christ fellowship with them? Does Christ love the "non-calvinist"? Of course! Then so must I. Here is my reply to a brother's inquiry:

Hey man,

I think what interests me the most about the Emergent Church is the movement toward authentic Christianity. It addresses the post-modern quest for "genuine" Christianity. It seems to be a movement that seeks to recover the sense of community, the sense of family and transparency of Christian living. In other words it is a rebellion against what has become in many local churches a ritualistic (almost idolatrous) "Sunday Christianity" that supplants 24/7 worship with a once a week mentality (as if the only place we come into the presence of a Holy God is in a building on Sunday). It is especially a reaction against the kind of shallow, superficial productions in "seeker churches" and most "mega churches".

What interests me about it is that it has brought to me a fuller understanding about the nature of what it means to be in the body of Christ - His Church.

I am aware that there are a few "emergent church" leaders who are well on their way to an outright denial of the faith. However, there are many leaders within the institutional church who are doing the same (Auburn Ave guys, Pinnock, maybe even Douglas Wilson with the whole justification question). There is certainly a need for the "emergence" of a strong doctrinally sound voice among the crowd. I've actually seen the websites of a few churches that are identified as emergent and there are some very strong "Calvinistic" confessions among them.

I hope that this is the beginning of a new Reformation of sorts that will take Christianity out of buildings and into the homes and market places of this world. It seems that we've come a long way from an upper room gathering after a meal (when Paul preached 'til midnight and a young man fell to his death), a gathering beside a river in Philippi, a meeting with the Elders of Ephesus at the gang plank of a ship, riding in a cart with an Ethiopian, fellowship in the home of Lydia and the like. I wander if what we do and look like "in church" now even remotely resembles the worship of an Apostolic church. I remember Paul's words to the Ephesian elders, "You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you, serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews, how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house..." That was intimate humble ministry and fellowship. I don't know anyone who ministers like that today. I'm sure they exist, but probably not in the modern Western world -- maybe in Sudan or China or Cuba.
It is a weariness on my own part with much of what I've seen and experienced "in church". I want something real. Maybe the problem is a personal one. Maybe it is not the modern concept of church that is the problem. Maybe it is my own experience of it that is at the heart of the problem. It just seems to me that so much of what we do is anchored to a building, the Sunday assembly and other "church activities" rather than on true "koinonia" and a real living out and experiencing of "Christ in you" on a daily basis. Much of what we do on a Sunday is geared toward "non - participation" and "non-fellowship" with those whom we love dearly and with whom we share the most amazing brotherhood. Much of what we do is a "monologue" experience. We profess that all the gifts are equally valuable and that none can claim a position of prominence over another, but, by and large, that is not how we practice our faith. And even now, as I describe this, I have in my mind a picture of "Sunday" worship, totally missing the reality of the fact that the body of Christ is to function all day everyday of the week. How easy it is to compartmentalize our Christian experience and to have one kind of fellowship with a brother on Sunday and a completely different kind of fellowship during the week. I say this to my shame.

Sorry for rambling. By the way, many of the things that are missing in many congregations are present in yours. I'm not blowing smoke here. I've actually talked about it with a friend. You guys share an intimacy that is winsome and attractive. That's good.

Here it is in a nutshell, the folks that I ought to be the most intimate with, and share the greatest love for, I don't even know their names!! And they don't even know mine! I taught Sunday school for over a year and didn't know and take an interest "in the least of these". That's not how church should work. Again, I say this to my shame.

My hope is that this "emergent church" movement is a movement that will carry the church back to the level of authenticity and joy that permeated the worship and fellowship of those earliest Christians who "continued steadfastly in the Apostles doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers"... "continuing daily with one accord in the temple, breaking bread from house to house" and who "ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people".

Now, that is what excites me about the "emergent church". Its that kind of Christianity that I want to be a part of. As I am beginning to understand "church" these days, I feel a lot closer to you and my friends in your fellowship, as well as all my brothers and sisters who worship in the "big churches" around town. I also feel a greater compassion and closeness with my persecuted brothers in places unlike P'cola. I think that this is what the "emergent church" hopes to capture and embody. It is certainly what I want to live out everyday. A true walking with Christ and a real fellowship with fellow pilgrims.

I better stop. I'll have another blog entry here if I don't cut it off.

God bless you brother and thanks for asking. I'm obviously still on the "fringes" of learning about the "emergent church" and I'm sure it is a very broad and all encompassing term. I'm certain that not everything in this movement is healthy. But, that is the challenge. "Test everything. Hold on to that which is good!"

Tom

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Tom! In one sense, it's a shame that any part of the body of Christ needs to "emerge" from the religious shell, in many cases, that has insulated it and isolated it from the world we were meant to reach with the good news. And you're right, there is a rather large movement (Acts 29 Network, for example) of people who love "the faith once delivered to the saints" and yet believe that massive changes are needed in the institutional church.


You make some great points about "Sunday Christianity" versus 24/7 authentic Christian community. Going to some churches is like attending a concert or a sporting event: just watching other people perform.


Trying to define the emerging church is a little like nailing Jello to the wall: it's all over the map and it sometimes defies the neat compartments we often like to put things in. But I definitely like some of the stuff that I've read.


Take care on the journey!


Bill

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
Got your email. Let me be the first to comment if I may.

It is difficult to pin down a definition for the emergent church for a couple of very good reasons. First, "they" do their best not to define themselves. Definitions are so limiting you know. Second, if it is as you define it how do we know when we have arrived at "authentic fellowship?" 1 John 1:5-10 tells us that fellowship has a lot to do with light and the putting off of sin. The problem with emergent church folks (or some like Brian McClauren) is that to mention sin is to drive folks away from fellowship. See for example McClauren's statements on homosexuality.
This is not isolated by any means in fact I believe it is what post-modern Christianity is all about. Propositions are laid aside in search of heart felt truth. Meta-narratives are shunned and meaning is sought after in the experience. To use your example of Paul preaching till midnight. The emergent church would point to someone falling out a window as proof of genuine fellowship rather than Paul preaching 'til midnight. After all a sermon that long was probably a monologue.


Your Brother in Christ

Al sends

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home