Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Coming of Christ in John 14

Coming soon. Some think John 14:1-6 is a passage dealing with the Rapture. Others, the second coming. Still others (Edwards and Gill included, I am told), the death of the Christian. And some think that the coming of the Holy Spirit to indwell believers is what's in view here. So what is it? I have my opinion, and I think it is faithful to the context. I think Jesus is speaking of His coming to them in the Person and power of the Holy Spirit. Just to whet your appeitite until my next post, the word (Greek: mone) "many mansions", "many dwelling places", etc, is used only twice in the entire bible. And both times it is used in John 14. It is translated "abode" in verse 23, to speak of the Father and the Son coming to the believer to make their "abode" with him. Now, every scholar that I've read agrees that verse 23 refers to the coming of the Father and the Son in the Person of the Holy Spirit. Well, that is enough for now. I'll elaborate later. Feel free to chime in right now if you'd like. I plan to sit down soon and put together a reasonable treatment of the subject. For instance, what did Jesus mean when He said, "I go to prepare a place for you" and what did He mean when he said, "I'll come again and receive you to Myself"? Also, what did He mean when He said, "I'll not leave you orphans"?

By the way, I've only found one or two references supporting this view. So, if you know of any reputable scholars who hold to this view, I'd be interested to know who they are.

Keep checking back, or drop me a line.

God bless,

Tom

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,

The IVP Bible Background Commentary agrees with your premise. Here's an excerpt:

"14:3–4. In this context, John probably means not the Second Coming but Christ’s return after the resurrection to bestow the Spirit (14:16–18). In Jewish teaching, both the resurrection of the dead (which Jesus inaugurated) and bestowal of the Spirit indicate the arrival of the new age of the kingdom. Jesus explains where he is going and how they will come to be there in 14:6–7."

Keep thinking outside the box, brother! Things are not always as they seem, or as we have always been taught, are they?

Blessings,

Bill Lollar

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,

I would also say in person, this I base on: John 13:36; where Jesus tells Peter he cannot follow him now but instead could later, on the fact that Jesus did physically leave the earth after the resurrection, and on 1 Thessalonians 16-17; where Jesus physically returns and the saints meet him in the air and are then always with him.

Thoughts?

6:34 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Thanks for the help Bill. Hope all is going well in Wales. By the way, I like your new blog. Looks great and great commentary. Talk to you soon.

Jason, I'm not saying that there is going to be no physical appearance of Christ, I'm simply saying that this passage is not talking about the Rapture or the Second Coming, it is talking about the coming of the Holy Spirit. He is comforting distressed disciples who can't get over the fact that Jesus is leaving them and they can't follow Him! He comforts them, not with the Rapture or the Second Coming, but with the promise not to leave them orphans. And how would he not "leave them orphans"? He would send them "another comforter" (the Holy Spirit), which, as every Bible comentator points out, means, "another One just like Me." He is to be with them through the power of the Holy Spirit. So much so that Paul speaks of "Christ in you" and of us being "seated with Christ in heavenly places." Jesus underscores this when He says,
"And lo, I am with you always." Anyway, its late and I'm rambling a bit. Again, this passage is not speaking to the Second Coming or the Rapture. There certainly are passages that speak to a rapture and a Second Coming, but this is not one.

Tom

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home