Thursday, August 17, 2006

Are You in Church?

I have not had time to sit and put together further comments on the meaning of the Coming of Christ in John 14. But, I will soon, Lord willing. I thought I'd post a portion of one of my very first entries as a reminder to me of what I hope this blog will be. While debates about emergent and baptism are interesting, we need not forget we are brothers and are commanded to exhort and encourage one another in brotherly love. Remember, if you are in Christ today, you are in Church!

"...When I see a brother or sister who worships in another building, or as part of another denomination even, I am in the body of Christ WITH THEM. I am responsible to them. I am to love them. I am to teach them. I am to counsel them, cry with them, rejoice with them, etc. - regardless of the location. Be it a football game, a walk in the park, or whatever the scenario, I am in Church with them as we meet and speak together. We worship, encourage, pray and enjoy fellowship even though we are not at the "set hour" for such activity.This is having a huge impact on my awareness of Christ, my love for His church, and my sense of participation in the building up of His body."

...giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to share in the ineritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins." Col 2:12-14

Since we share in the inheritance with the saints in light, we should conduct ourselves in this everyday existence as if we believe it to be true. We (every redeemed sheep in God's flock) are fellow pilgims and strangers in this world - citizens of a heavenly city - one with foundations that cannot be shaken. We share an intimacy and are a community unlike any other group in this world.

"Therefore encourage one another daily, while it is still called today" (Heb 3:13).

John (the beloved Apostle, the Elder) prayed the following prayer for us many years ago:

"that you may also have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. And these things we write to you that your joy may be full." John 1:3,4.

Well, that is a prayer that I pray will be fulfilled in me today. What about you?

Tom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home