Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Harlot!

There are a host of interpretations as to the identity of the great Harlot of Revelation 17 and 18. On her forehead is written the Title:

Mystery,
Babylon the Great,
The Mother of Harlots and of
The Abominations of the Earth.

I wonder if anyone would like to add that to their long list of Titles and Designations? Any volunteers? Doctor of Ministry, Doctor of Divinity. Doctor of Theology, PHD, DMin, Rev., Mr.,
Sir, "Mystery, Babylon the Great, The Mother of Harlots...". Uh. I'll pass.

Some see the Harlot as ancient Jerusalem or ancient Rome. Others see her as apostate religion riding upon political power. Some see her as the Roman Catholic Church. And others as simply the institutional Church (by institutional, I mean the machinery that includes both wheat and tares) in general. Take a look at the passage and read about her riches, her prestige in the world, her influence among political leaders, and her positive influence on the economies of the world. Sounds not unlike historic western Christianity. She is a power monger, dabbling in politics, economics and loving the praise of the world's merchants, kings and the like. She adorns herself in an array of splendid purple and scarlet. She has the choicest jewels, precious gems, gold and silver. She is rich! She audaciously says,

"I sit as queen and am no widow, and will not see sorrow (Rev 18:7)!"

She has made the world rich. Nations have gone into her and lay with her and have drank of her fornication.

If this is a picture of the Church and its condition when Christ returns it is shameful. It is easy to see how John might have "marveled with great amazement" at such a sight (Rev 17:6). She was drunk with the blood of saints and martyrs of Jesus. Of all people, SHE, SHE had persecuted the faithful followers of Jesus! If this is the Church, no wonder John was amazed.

Is there support for such a view among Theologians? Yes. A couple of years ago, I listened to a series given be several professors at Knox Theological Seminary on this very topic. It was interesting. I thought a little about it and then tabled it until recently. I've been teaching through the book of Revelation and have found my loosely held eschatological beliefs challenged at every turn. One thing I'm certain of is this, you must come to this book with a great deal of humility and respect for others whose views are different than your own. Whether there is a pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trip, or pre-wrath rapture; or whether there is a spiritual millenial kingdom, or a literal millenial kingdom is of minor significance. However, the warnings to the people of God to persevere and endure and to "come out of [the great harlot] (Rev 18:4) are not of minor significance. Whether the Harlot is the luxurious power-hungry Church, apostate Religion, or great cultures that bask in their luxury and idolatry, the message to the elect of God -- "come out from her My people" -- is not to be missed!

I am leaning toward a view that the Harlot is the institutional, rich, power loving Church that is alive at the time of Christ's return. Immediately, as a reformed Baptist, I will be scoffed at by my "fully reformed" brethren. But, that is okay. I hope that they can bear with my foolishness.
Nevertheless, it appears to me that God will judge that Romanish church with double wrath (Rev 18:6) because she has persecuted the faithful remnant of God. This Church may include every luxurious Church (not just the Roman Catholic Church) that basks in its own glory, seeks the approval of the great men of the world, and seeks to exert its dominion over the political, economic and social institutions of the world. These are churches that desire to be respected by the world. They are the ones which desire to show themselves superior to other worldviews, while seemingly caring very little for the lost. Many of them dress themselves in ornate buildings and multimillion dollar budgets. Many of its "ministers" make a huge salary, love their latest technological gadgets, and a have a very comfortable, if not luxurious existence. They live in their trendy homes in the most choice neighborhoods alongside those whose chief desire is personal affluence. They drive their fine cars. They love being in the spot light. They read the latest leadership books. They are up on the latest religious fad. Their goal is to become influencial in the world. They love the notoriety. They love the world!
Now I realize that to some degree this is me as well. There is much too much of the world and its lusts in me. God grant that I might love Him and hate the temporal allurements of this present world.

While the Reformers went along way in righting the ship, there is still a long way to go! I think Catholics and Protestants alike can be found in the Great Harlot. In fact, the passage says that she is "the mother of many harlots!" Those who ought to recognize that they are married to Christ and no other, rather prostitute themselves to the world as if they are "no widow" and are a "queen" to themselves.

How appropriate are the Lord's words to the Laodocean Church and how timely they are for the Church in general today:
14 And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. 15 I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the Beloved!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the Beloved!

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the Beloved??????

9:46 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

oh... dear general, the MajGen is delighted that you've visited his blogus.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home