Monday, May 14, 2007

Contentment

I wrote this one a couple of months ago and am just now publishing it.

Its been more than a month since my last devotional. I’ve been thinking a good bit about the next devotional, but haven’t been moved toward writing about any particular topic. However, as of late, the Lord has been focusing my thoughts on contentedness. The other day as my son Andrew and I were building a small deck in our back yard, I began thinking about how gracious the Lord has been toward us. I don’t know that I’ve ever truly been content with our present home. I’ve always seen it as a temporary place… one that is meant to last us until we are able to live where we really want to live. Funny thing though, is that I never really knew where that ideal place was.

At any rate, I went out with my morning latte`¾ yes, latte`, I’ve been making a morning latte` since returning from several Marine Corps deployments to the Mediterranean Sea in the early 1990’s¾ and reclined on the deck that Andrew and I built. It’s not finished yet, but, it’ll support me, my latte`, my Bible, and a loyal dog or two. I opened to Hebrews 13 and began reading. It was all quite inspirational. However, my mind focused in on a verse that has been a familiar refrain as of late:

5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." F63 6 So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

And then in verse 14 I was reminded of something very important:

11 For the bodies of those animals, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned outside the camp. 12 Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered outside the gate. 13 Therefore let us go forth to Him, outside the camp, bearing His reproach. 14 For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come. 15 Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. 16 But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

These things all came together to remind me not to let my mind be captured by the things of the world¾ covetousness, discontentment with what the Lord has given me, worry about my family’s future, health, sickness or even death. These things are sinful. Sinful, because they clearly violate the commands above to be content, to be free from fear, and to be willing to suffer “outside the camp” with Christ. How fleeting are the things in this world that vie for control of our hearts!

Do you remember Mary and Martha? Mary reclined at the Lord’s feet, heard His word and was enjoying the presence of her Savior, while her sister, Martha, busied herself in preparing a meal for the Savior. Do you remember Jesus’ words to the discontented Martha? He said to her,

"Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her" (Luke chapter 10).

How we need to remember the one needful thing! We are not be taken up with thoughts about things that are temporary at best. Resist the temptation to let THINGS control your thinking. Focus in on the one thing that is needful. Find your own deck, take your Bible, read it, pray and ask the Lord to quiet your restless heart.

Sit at His feet with Mary and rejoice in His presence. Remember, if you belong to Christ, you seek a city that is to come, a city with foundations that cannot be shaken (Hebrews 11:10; 12:27). Be content with what you have and do not worry! If you have come to Christ in repentance and in faith, then offer God praise and thanksgiving for His great salvation and rejoice that He has made you as a joint heir along with His own dear Son… Jesus Christ our Lord, Savior and Brother!

"For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Tom,
Well said! I am also inspired by Paul as he wrote in Phil 4:11 "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content." To think about the depth and breadth of Paul's ministry and the violence and suffering he had been subject to, all for the name of Christ...and then him say this! We can only be brought to our knees in brokenness and thank God that Christ is our source of strength, hope, peace and contentedness. If we would only remember and remind each other to sit at His feet, to chose the better part, to be still and know that He is holy....we would find ourselves in a closer, more worshipful state with our Savior and Lord.
Grace to you,
Cg

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home